I already had a recipe for jalapeno cornbread, but it didn’t seem right if I baked it in an ordinary stainless steel pan or glass casserole dish.
Instead, I seasoned the cast iron skillet from my past and decided to use that.
As a home cook, I have experimented with all kinds of cornbread mixes. My favorite recipe comes from the back of the Albers White Corn Meal box.
Albers Corn Bread
1 cup Albers White Corn Meal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg, slightly beaten
Instructions for Jalapeno Cornbread
- Double the Albers recipe.
- Follow the instructions printed on the box.
- Mix 1 cup corn and 3/4 cup chopped jalapenos to the batter.
- Pour batter into greased, 10″x10″ cast iron skillet.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for approximately 25 minutes.
- Cut into 9-12 squares before serving. This cornbread also freezes well.