If you like crisp, delicate, buttery cookies with a hint of lavender, Butter Cookies with Lavender could be your best bet. You can use any favorite butter cookie recipe. For this recipe, I doubled the California Butter Cookies recipe from www.realcaliforniamilk.com and added lavender.
Finding the lavender was easy enough. In Sacramento, you can grow your own lavender or find lavender in the farmers markets. There are also two lavender farms in the area that sell lavender plants and lavender products. I am told that you can also find lavender in health food stores.
Butter Cookies with Lavender
Adapted from California Butter Cookies by www.realcaliforniamilk.com
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 sticks softened butter
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon lavender buds
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Soften butter at room temperature. Grease cookie sheets.
2. Place lavender in food processor with 1/3 cup sugar. Grind until the lavender is in bits.
4. Add vanilla and eggs.
5. Add salt, baking powder and flour. Beat until mixture becomes dough.
6. Roll cookie dough into a log (about 12 inches). Wrap in wax or freezer paper. Freeze for two hours or more.
7. Take wrapped dough out of the freezer and cut it about 1/4″ thick.
7. Bake for about 12 minutes or until edges are brown.
8. Place cookies on a rack to cool. Store in an airtight container or freeze.