As far as vegetables go, you can say eggplant is meaty as well as filling. Here is a simple dish that is so easy to make in a skillet. When I finished making the dish in a cast iron skillet, I popped the skillet into the oven. I make a mess whenever I cook and bake, so I am always looking for one-pan or one-pot recipes.
1 pound ground beef
1 medium eggplant, sliced lengthwise
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2/3 cup water
1 cup Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
1. In a large skillet with about two tablespoons of olive oil, lightly fry eggplant slices on both sides. Place eggplant slices on a cookie sheet and bake in a 350-degree oven until eggplant softens.
2. Brown meat in the same skillet.
3. In a bowl, thoroughly mix cornstarch and water.
4. Move half the ground beef to one side of the skillet, and place eggplant in skillet. Cover the eggplant with some ground beef. Place remaining eggplant on the other side of the skillet.
5. Cover all eggplant slices with ground beef.
6. Top with remaining end pieces. Pour cornstarch and water over meat and eggplant mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Place skillet in 350-degree oven for 20-30 minutes.
7. Serve immediately.